My husband and I love to go for walks in the evenings, and we occasionally have dinner dates with couples who live near enough to us that we consider walking to and from dinner. I have yet to feel comfortable putting rising yeast dough in a backpack for a 2 mile walk to a friends house (often I agree to make my homemade yeast rolls as our contribution to dinner). However, I will soon be baking a potato, tomato casserole dish that is much more portable. We still can’t just stick the casserole dish in a backpack and strike out on a walk, though, so I went scouring for a casserole dish carrier tutorial and finally settled on modifying the Casserole Dish Carrier Tutorial found at Love of Sewing. Why modify? Since it is dinner for 4, I plan to cut the recipe down and bake it in my 9 x 9 casserole dish. That will cut down on the tedium of carrying it across town, too.
*Note that this post is not a tutorial in itself, but a brief description of the modifications I made to Love of Sewing’s Casserole Dish Carrier Tutorial.
In the tutorial, it calls for wider widths of fabric to be cut than I used so that the carrier will fit an 11 x 17 casserole dish. Below I will briefly outline the modifications I made to the tutorial to make a carrier for my 9 x 9 casserole dish.
I started with making the handle for the carrier. I cut my fabric and batting 11 inches wide by 39 inches long. I used the base of my large colander for the circle form on the ends, and I sewed a half-inch seam allowance as recommended.
I folded down the tabs for the handle by 1-inch and used chopsticks as test handle pieces to get a feel for if the size was to my liking (I also used the chopsticks to help press out the corners when I turned the fabric right sides out after sewing the seams).
At this point I also considered how long I wanted to make my next fabric pieces by draping the handle over the casserole dish and taking measurements. I decided to cut the next section to 10.5-inches wide by 33-inches long.
At this point I got my husband to help out a bit. We didn’t have any peg board on hand in the house, but he had a bit of phenolic in the garage that he was able to cut to size to be a sturdy base to set the casserole dish on.
Another modification we chose to use was to sew the outside of the flaps for the handle shut to help capture the metal rod that we used for the handles.
I know I am biased, but I also think that my husband makes a handsome hand model as he shows off the fancy carrier. 🙂
The project took a couple of hours to assemble, and I am really looking forward to being more mobile in our local dinner dates. And in case you are curious, this is what the potato / tomato casserole looks like. Click on the image to download the recipe.
I think this post might give you the impression that my favorite color is cobalt blue…