When I received the Hawthorne Threads order that contained the fabric for Out of the Woods, I could not wait to dive in and piece the quilt top! I jumped right in and in 1.5 hours I had the top 40% of the quilt top pieced; the sun and sky.
I took my time and pieced half-square triangles (HSTs) carefully to keep the Sky fabric lines all running horizontally around the sun. With just a bit of extra attention to fabric orientation, the quilt was really coming along nicely.
The next morning, I dove right in and made the remaining HSTs required for the mountains in the lower portion of the quilt top. And then I stepped back from my design wall and reality sank in. Instead of making 8.5-inch HSTS (unfinished), I had made 7.5-inch HSTs. Gulp.
After a quick scramble to calculate the amount of fabric I had left, I made the decision that the quilt was going to have to shrink a bit. I wasn’t 100% sure what that meant, but I forged ahead and finished what I had started. Instead of purely strip piecing the lower portion of the quilt, I worked to use large pieces where possible.
Before sewing the mountains to the sky / sun, I added one more row of blocs to the right hand side of the mountains, effectively “growing” the dark green mountain a bit. I stuck with my original border size, and the quilt top finished out at 71-inches wide by 80-inches long.
I am a bit disappointed in the proportion of the sun to the mountains because of my cutting error, but all things considered, I think it turned out great! Oh, and the entire quilt top was done in 4 hours. Large, graphic designs come together so quickly!
To give an idea of the progression of the design of the quilt, below are the original design (left), intended quilt top (middle), and as sewn quilt top (right). The quilt became a bit more square and the proportion of the sun to the mountains increased again between what I had intended and as finished.
I will be waiting to quilt Out of the Woods until I come back from QuiltCon. I think I am going to have quite the backlog of quilt tops to finish up at the end of February!