While the Tessellated Leaves Blog Hop was going on last week, I took the opportunity to get ahead on several projects which I am excited to show off this week! How about we jump right in with a finished quilt? It turns out that the Seeing Stars quilt that I started on January 22nd to fill in some time for me was the perfectly sized project! I finished the quilt on January 27th, and I am thrilled with how it came together.
Let’s talk some quilt statistics!
- Total Quilt Time: 9.5 hours
- Fabric Prep / Design: 1 hour
- Piecing: 6.25 hours (roughly 20 minutes for each block plus a bit of time to assemble)
- Quilting: 1.5 hours
- Binding: 0.75 hours
When I was piecing the quilt, I knew that I was going to want to put a thin border around the outside to help me preserve the nice points of the star. I like to use 2.5-inch wide binding when applying the binding with my machine, and that results in around a 3/8-inch border, which would have gobbled up the points. I considered using a darker fabric for the border, but when I auditioned a few materials, I chose to use the same white-on-white print as the stars for the border, knowing that the dark border would really help pull it all together and pop.
I quilted an all over design (my new favorite meandering spiral loops) using 50 wt Aurifil 2024 (white). The thread blends in perfectly against the stars, and looks great on the darker colors of the quilt, top and bottom.
More quilt statistics (shrinkage)!
- Flimsy Finish: 42.5 inches square
- After Quilting / Squaring / Binding: 41.5 inches square (2% shrinkage)
- After First Wash: 39 inches square (8% shrinkage)
I enjoyed this quick make and my 5th quilt finish of 2015. I expect my productivity to drop of sharply in February due to travelling for QuiltCon, but I had a fun streak of finishes in January.