Monday was a bit off for me. I decided after a rough morning that I wanted to work on a quick selfish sewing project. I’m a quilter and not seamstress by a large margin, but I decided to tackle a soft flannel eye mask. I had an eye mask with a comfortable (and adjustable) elastic band, but it has fallen to tatters. I removed the elastic from the old eye mask, and due to my embarrassment at the tatters, I did not photograph the disintegrated eye mask. Using the pattern and tutorial for an Eye Mask from the red kitchen, I quickly assembled and finished this very soft flannel eye mask. The print is fun and whimsical, and I look forward to enjoying the soft darkness it promises soon.
Well, after one night, I decided the eye mask needed an update. The elastic band was too tight, even with the adjustable velcro moved out as far as I could get it and still be attached. I measured the diameter (22 inches) and then cut the first eye mask apart. I re-printed the template but when tracing the shape, I added an inch and a half to either side of the eye mask. I then slightly changed how I had attached the elastic to help it be as long as possible. AND I added in 2 pieces of Kona Black just under the flannel to help make it as dark as possible. After sewing the new eye mask, the diameter is 22 inches with the velcro fully overlapped. Much better. My outer seam is even much neater this time around.