Warning! This is a photo heavy post. 🙂
My fantastic husband helped me finish remodeling my sewing room last night. I am really excited that everything I need is now contained in one room, and in such an orderly and tidy fashion, too! First, let’s take a peek at what my sewing room used to look like…
And here are a few photos of the in-progress work during the remodel phase…
Note that I have some really bright fabric loaded on the Millenium in the photo above. That was my first trial at loading and quilting. I quickly learned a lot about the machine through quick trial and error.
The old dining room set that I inherited from my paternal grandmother no longer works in this space. Instead of the china hutch, I now have a counter-top height cutting and sewing station. I used it this morning and I love the height – it is just right for me. Above the work station are 3 shelves stocked full of my stash and sewing notions. I can easily reach the first two shelves, which is fantastic!
My ironing station and quilt ladder get to live in the same location as they did previously, and the Millennium has plenty of room for me to walk around. If really needed, I can even scoot it further into the room. You might notice something hanging off the front of the Millennium rails…
Many of my readers have written to me with wonderful advice for how to get used to my new friend, the Millennium. I started with the bright rainbow fabric as backing and fat quarters that I purchased from JoAnn Fabrics in the 90’s to get a feel for how everything moved and worked. As I mentioned above, it was a great way to figure out what thread the machine likes to work with, how to start anticipating how much use I get with one bobbin, etc. Next, I loaded up two pieces of whole cloth that I had left over from my Synesthetic Alphabet project. The fabrics are gradiated gray fabrics that I purchased to see what would work with my husband’s vision. Many thanks to everyone that suggested the whole cloth approach for sample quilting like Jasmine @ Quilt Kisses, it was another wonderful way to spend time with the Millennium.
I tried a lot of different things with this quilt! These are the first feathers I’ve really every tried to make. I used a ruler at the top of the quilt to create a triangle, and I definitely have a lot to learn about the best way to work with a ruler. I spent a lot of time practicing rounded shapes because it is hard for me to make smooth, rounded shapes at the moment.
I really love the star in the upper right hand corner and the sun in the lower left. I started out with black thread on the top and in the bobbin, but I struggled with thread break enough that I switched to a light grey Aurifil 50wt in the top, but I kept using pre-wound black bobbin thread that came from the seller with the machine. I like how much the light gray stands out in the darker areas of the panel and how it blends right in to the center.
The backing is also a gray gradient batik that is much more subtle than the front.
You can see in the closeup photos above and below the fact that I used black thread on the top for a while and then quilted over top of my initial work with the lighter grey Aurifil.
All in all, I am really excited and happy with how the Millenium is going to work for me long term. It’s probably time to get back to work on some of my backlog of WiPs, and I look forward to loading a real quilt into the frame for quilting soon!
Whole Cloth Grayscale Test Quilt
- 32 inches by 42 inches finished, prewash
- 5 hours including loading into the frame and binding
- First time attempting to quilt feathers and a wonderful test piece for quilting on my new Millenium