I really loved making this quilt. The fabrics are fun, the pattern creates a really great 3D effect, and I really enjoyed quilting it. The idea to “hide” some rockets among the rest of the quilting?!? Super fun! For a recap on the history and evolution of this quilt, check out my other posts about it:
- Space Age Tumbling Blocks – Commissioned Quilt Design Process
- Space Age Tumbling Blocks – Fabric Prep and Initial Piecing
- Space Age Tumbling Blocks – Slow Progress (Under the Weather)
- Space Age Tumbling Blocks – Almost a Flimsy Finish (with a fun timelapse video of the piecing process!)
- Space Age Tumbling Blocks – WiP Wednesday and Quilting Sneak Peak
It took me just over 8 hours to finish the quilting. After sewing 3 rockets across the quilt top, I went back and quilted using an all-over swirl pattern. I know I have mentioned it before, but I like the way swirls can be used to look like ocean waves or spiral galaxies. They worked really well to nest against the hidden rockets, as you can see in the close up photos below.
It took about 3 hours to trim / square the quilt after quilting and put on the binding. I really enjoy the process of whip-stitching down the binding to the back of a quilt. It gives me time to reflect on the quilt before I wash it. And in this case, it was a lot of fun to have time to look at the ads that make up the quilt backing.
I have really been interested in how my quilts shrink. As I have been paying attention, I have realized about have the shrinkage comes from quilting. More fun stats on this quilt:
- 62″ x 75″ Finished Quilt Top
- 60″ x 73″ After Quilting
- 56″ x 68″ After First Wash
The goal was to have a quilt that was roughly 60″ by 70″, so it fell a bit short of that goal after the first wash. I think that with time and use, it will stretch back out, though.
In all, with design time included, this quilt represents 24 hours of work for me. I will be delivering the quilt to its owner on Monday at lunch.