Today I started quilting the Synesthetic Alphabet quilt, but I want to step back and talk a bit more about the piecing of the quilt top. Piecing this quilt top was another great learning experience for my husband and I. I had a plan to randomly place the letter “blocks” within each gradated background block. After I made the first two (“A” and “B”), I asked for feedback from my husband. It turns out that objects that are important or that are sharply in focus hang out in the middle to lower portion of space for him. As things become unimportant or if they are hard to define, they float up in space. I tried to keep that in mind as I worked on the blocks. If my husband had previously descibed the letter as ‘shy’ or if it was difficult for him to select a precise color, I tried to move the block a bit higher in space.
After the piecing was done and we stepped back from the quilt, I was pleased to see how the extra shading really made the colored letter blocks have a 3D feel. I was starting to also be a bit nervous about the fact that the letters are represented as 3D blocks and not the shape of the letter itself. My husband, however, reassured me that this is a pretty good representation of what he “sees”. The letters are 3D objects with color and a 3D effect being the most important. It takes him a lot of effort to see the shape of the letter or sometime even the exact color of the letter.
I am also really pleased with how your eye jumps around if you try to track quickly across the alphabet. Reading is very difficult for my husband because of this visualization for him, and I was happy that the placement of blocks and selection of color gradation alternation worked to create a similar effect.
Last night, we talked about how I plan to do the quilting. My husband and I quickly agreed that outlining the letter blocks with dense quilting all around will help enhance the 3D effect by allowing them to pop and puff up a bit more. He also requested “robot” as the quilting pattern. So with that in mind, I got started today.
I have a little over half of the quilting to complete, but I can already see that the colored letter blocks are starting to pop and puff up. I am really happy with how my machine is working today, too, now that I am keeping the stitch length a bit shorter. Yay!
I am using a variegated black and white thread for the top and a variegated multicolored pastel thread for the back. This quilt really has been an amazing process, and I love getting to know a bit more about the inner workings of my husband’s mind as I am creating it. 🙂
Linking up to WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced